The initiative was taken by Ruud Brienen, a Mortier organ-owning member of the Kring van Draaiorgelvrienden and has been written and put together by Tom Meijer with the assistance of a team of knowledgeable contributors. The book deals with the following subjects:
- Chronicle of members of the Mortier family.
- The history of the Mortier company.
- Details of the factory layout, how it expanded, and a study of the staff that worked there.
- A chapter featuring the various music arrangers that worked for the firm.
- A general overview of firm’s products (up to 1914; 1918-1929; 1930-1944; 1945-1952).
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier organs.
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier orchestrions.
- The organ-rental business of Gustaaf Schollaert of Ghent.
- How René van den Bosch continued the Mortier name after the original company was liquidated.
- Appendices including a list of organ and orchestrion serial numbers and photographs of original designs for organ fronts.
Of particular interest to most of our readers is that the text of the book is in two languages, Dutch and English, making the contents widely accessible. We are pleased to have been involved with the translation of this valuable resource, which we are sure will quickly become a standard reference work. In the Netherlands, the book will be available from various sources where KDV members showing their membership card will receive a discount on the normal price.
For non-members, we are pleased to announce that the book will be available for purchase on our website towards the end of October. The price will be £40.00. At the time of writing, the books have not yet been printed, so we cannot state what the additional postage costs will be. Contact us now to reserve copies as this is a limited print run, not available in the shops. We will inform you around October 27th what the full cost will be. By that time a stock of books will be in the UK for immediate dispatch.
If you are interested in purchasing one of these books, once they become available, we would be most grateful if you could complete the form below. This will help us to determine the number of copies we will initially need to stock.
(Please note we ask for your country and postcode or zip code, in order to be able to inform you of postage costs when we contact you to say that the book is available for purchase).