The initiative was taken by Ruud Brienen, a Mortier organ-owning member of the Kring van Draaiorgelvrienden and has been written and put together by Tom Meijer with the assistance of a team of knowledgeable contributors. The book deals with the following subjects:
- Chronicle of members of the Mortier family.
- The history of the Mortier company.
- Details of the factory layout, how it expanded, and a study of the staff that worked there.
- A chapter featuring the various music arrangers that worked for the firm.
- A general overview of firm’s products (up to 1914; 1918-1929; 1930-1944; 1945-1952).
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier organs.
- Descriptions and histories of many Mortier orchestrions.
- The organ-rental business of Gustaaf Schollaert of Ghent.
- How René van den Bosch continued the Mortier name after the original company was liquidated.
- Appendices including a list of organ and orchestrion serial numbers and photographs of original designs for organ fronts.
Of particular interest to most of our readers is that the text of the book is in two languages, Dutch and English, making the contents widely accessible. We are pleased to have been involved with the translation of this valuable resource, which we are sure will quickly become a standard reference work. In the Netherlands, the book will be available from various sources where KDV members showing their membership card will receive a discount on the normal price.
Our current stock, which was especially imported from the Netherlands, has now run out, but we will be getting more in the New Year. To assist with this, please contact us to reserve a copy from the new stock. This is a limited print run, not available in the shops.
If you wish to order and pay by direct bank transfer, the book costs £47.99 (including UK mainland delivery and VAT), so please contact us for our bank details.
To pay by PayPal the book costs £49.99 (including UK mainland delivery and VAT)
(For other countries, please contact us, giving your country and postcode or zip code, so we can inform you of the postage costs).